Friday, May 26, 2017

Lost or Found? or Both...

Twenty-six days....has it really been just 26 days? I look back over the dozens of pictures we've taken from the last three weeks and I can hardly remember a day when we weren't traveling. Not long ago a typical day for us started with coffee, walking the dog, checking email -the schedule for the day ahead- a shower-dressed and then facing the world. 
My my my how  quickly things do change! A typical day for us now means waking up- getting my head around where we are, I mean I usually know 'basically' where we are- the South- the Mid-West - the deep West or some place in between. But more often now our morning conversations go something along the lines of " Good  morning! Where are we and what day is it?" . 


 Life on the road we have found, has a way of setting it's own rhythm and we are definitely not in charge of the way it ebbs and flows. Like the rivers we've crossed and the many sunrises we've seen- the steaming ball of orange and yellow and sometime brilliant red- stirs the Earth and everything under it and we rise to face the new offerings that the day and the Universe has planned for us.
 From the first day- those few weeks ago, I have wept my way across America- not tears of sadness really but more tears of humility, of finally seeing for myself- the breathtaking-supernatural beauty around us.  I cry every time I look at canyons or boulders or rivers that have a force and a face and a presence of their own. They don't ask anyone for permission to grow or crumble or shine or rain. Nature needs no permission- she just does what she does when she sees the need and now we see that we are all a part of that on a daily basis.
 Some days ago we landed in Texas' Palo Duro Canyon, a storm came up along the canyon rim. I watched and wept from the canyon floor as a rainbow stretched itself across the sky. A double rainbow- going from lilac to indigo-to brilliant gold- I was moved. It was awe inspiring.



In Arizona Steve and I held hands as tears the size of the desert sun rolled down my face and soaked my shirt. There were just no words to describe the amazing landscapes around us and to KNOW that the hand that created all of this- the hands that can take a boulder and make a mountain, that makes ordinary rain grow into flowering trees or shrubs so that the crawling-creeping or flying beings can quench their thirst. The hands that rock the Universe are the same hands that take care of me and you and us and them.
It's overwhelming to imagine the power and fury that it takes to carve a canyon- is also carving and rearranging me...how can I not be touched.

There's so much I'm learning. There are so many things bubbling inside of me The Creator is still lovingly and gently leading us. Of this we are sure. We knew this last week when Steve and I both came down with a nasty version of the Flu as we camped along the banks of the Rio Grande. We were seriously ill with high fevers, relentless coughing, nausea and other symptoms which we won't go into! We made it for three nights before we were had to abandon our beautiful camping spot and find a hotel nearby. We slept for two days and finally emerged from our sick beds and continued our journey West. We're ok. We're stronger and wiser and what a great story we have to tell! The Universe makes a fine physician.

Today we make ready to head more North than West. Unless we want to go to California today, we will likely end up somewhere around Salt Lake City tonight. But ...every day is a winding road and as my wise and funny traveling companion just reminded me " The sun is up- you are now free to move around the Country". 

Keep the faith my friends. You are not alone. Whatever lovely part of this spinning blue planet you are riding- I challenge you to imagine for just a second that the hands that created the world around you- also created YOU! And of all the beautiful, random, purposeful miracles that have ever been created- YOU ARE ONE OF THE MOST AMAZING!

Namaste my peeps- remember to be kind to everyone you meet today, for we are all connected in this ride called life- together!





No comments:

Post a Comment